Sunday, April 1, 2007

burn, baby burn!

Conference weekend was anything but uneventful: the meetings we all excellent, the speakers clearly inspired, and we learned just how grateful/concerned we are that our smoke alarms are disabled. On Saturday morning we were liesurely loungeing to conference and Alli decided to make some potatoes. She was puttering and muttering in the kitchen and I noticed a smokieness about the air. About 30 seconds later she shouted, "Uhh... Melissa, could you come here a minute?" Something in her voice told me to hurry. When I got to the kitchen, it was filled with smoke and Alli was holding a frying pan with a lid over it. I said, "What is it?" She didn't reply except to lift the lid a bit so I could see the flames flying out of it! "Huh," I thought as I tried to remember what one was supposed to put out grease fires with as opposed to electrical fires. I couldn't remember which was baking soda and which was salt and how the devil would I break open the fire extinguisher if I needed to, but I figured baking soda would probably work best either way. So I grabbed the box from the cupboard and started pouring. Hooray! It worked! I love it when I find out that something I've seen in a movie can actually happen.

No comments: