Sunday, March 4, 2007

into the deep


Weekend update: On Saturday, Karissa and I ventured north to the Living Planet Aquarium exhibit in Sandy. We "ooh"'d and "ahh"'d over the seahorses, shivered at the sight of the sharks, and oggled the octopus. Since it only took 45 min to wander through the exhibits and play with the random creatures in the open pool (I just don't trust sting rays since Steve Irwin died...) we decided to walk though again to make sure we got our $7 worth of fishiness.

Just before the Northern lobster, a crowd was gathering around the octopus. I looked in the bottom of the tank and noticed a small, white plastic arm sticking up at an odd angle, along with a pair of blue plastic shoes. The octopus was eating a Mr. Potato Head! Within moments, one of the aquarium staff members appeared, explaining that if the octopus was in the wild, it would have to work to crack open shellfish, etc. and so they try to simulate that experience for the captive animals. It was really quite alarming. Anyway, here's a photo from a Washington Post article. (See http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/15/AR2006081500916.html ) I never know...

Also, Friday we went tubing with the ward at Soldier's Hollow. Rawk awesome time. (Picts coming as soon as Somer sends 'em to me!)

No comments: